Social Icons

My 2014 Reading List

Hey World,

It's about time to make some resolutions, right? One thing that I really want to commit to in 2014 is to unplug and open spines, in that order. Of course, I'm referencing unplugging from my phone and my computer and my TV in times of boredom and open spines...of actual books!
I have a Kindle and he and I have been through a lot together, but there's nothing like a nice paperback or hardcover and a blanket to make everything in the world right again.

My other resolution is to track my readings in 2014 -- as a way to track my interests, see what I've accomplished, and see how many books I can actually read. It also will discourage me from reading too many sappy love stories...although let's be honest, I'm sure a few of them will pepper their way in here. 

This past month, I've been off from school, so I had an inordinate amount of free time. I also had other things going on, and I'm working on unplugging more (this list could be so much longer....damn Criminal Minds!). 

But here is my list, so far, in order. I'll continue to update it every month or two with additions. 

Books Read in 2014:

Baking Cakes in Kigali, Gaile Parkin
Giving, Bill Clinton
Dictatorship to Democracy, Gene Sharp
The Antelope Strategy, Jean Hatzfeld
Laughs, Luck…and Lucy, Jess Oppenheimer
Bucolic Plague, Josh Kilmer-Purcell
The Sex Lives of Cannibals, J. Maarten Troost
Cinderella Ate My Daughter, Peggy Orenstein
One Man’s View of the World, Lee Kuan Yew
The Brightest Star in the Sky, Marian Keyes
Divergent, Veronica Roth
Showing Up for Life, Bill Gates Sr. 
Lean In, Sheryl Sandberg
Insurgent, Veronica Roth
The Plague, Albert Camus
The Other Wes Moore, Wes Moore
A Free Man, Aman Sethi
Fault in Our Stars, John Green
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Frank L. Baum
Small Wars, Sadie Jones
The Long Walk, Slavomir Rawicz
A Long Walk to Water, Linda Sue Park
Like Trees, Walking, Ravi Howard
Blueprints for Building Better Girls, Elissa Schappell


Note: this list will not include books read for school, because I think that's a different kind of relationship with books and reading. 

I hope to add another book every week or so; right now I'm at 23 in 4 months!

xoxo,
M

*Last updated April 24th, 2014

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!