Social Icons

The Bruce Manifesto: A So-Full Heart

Hey World,

I've talked a little bit about my pup Bruce on this blog, like here when I adopted him, and again about a year ago when I was convinced he was a cat (you can read it here). 

Mr B has been an integral part of my life for now more than 18 months. I could go on and on about his silly, sassy (and I mean sassy!) self, but there are no amount of words that could accurately capture the goofball that he has become. 


What I can put into words is what it feels like to have a heart swell so full of love until it wants to burst. It hasn't exploded, but I don't want it to. I want to protect my so-full heart, and allow its weight to keep me grounded. 

I once wrote in an old post:
"Love can be deep. It can be all-encompassing; it can swallow you whole and become you - you will feel it be reflected in every thought and every movement. Love can manifest in hugs and together-time, in shared glances and whispered secrets. Love can wake you up in the middle of the night to glance sideways and make sure your love is alive. Love can disrupt your being, and love can give you a reason to feel alive."

With a year and a half of experience, I want to expand on that feeling:

Love can be a slow throb that you never forget is there. Love can be the confidence that this love won't be unexpectedly shattered. Love can be the lick that shocks you into awareness in the morning, or the wet snout near your pillow that welcomes you into slumber. Love can be the only worry you carry with you out the front gate, and reassure you as soon as you embrace once again. Love can be the pulsating rhythm that brings you from hour to hour, day to day, week to week, in an undulating, unwavering pattern. Love can be comfort in knowing you have someone waiting patiently to love you, whenever you are ready.  


Bruce lives each and every day with a beaming grin on his face. There is no greater gift to him than simple acts of kindness - a quick back-scratch, laying together on a sofa, or a singsong hello. 


He is a constant reminder in our house to live for love -- what greater purpose could we find than that?

xoxo,
M

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!